Général C. G. Morton - Histoire

Général C. G. Morton - Histoire


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Général C. Morton

Général C. Morton

Le général de division Charles Gould Morton, États-Unis, a servi aux Philippines pendant la guerre hispano-américaine, puis à la frontière du Texas.

(AP-138 : dp. 9 950 (It.) ; 1. 522'10" ; n. 71'6", dr. 26'6"

cpl. 494 ; trp. 4 766 ; une. 45", 8 1,1", 16 20 mm.; cl. Général

GO. Squier ; T.C4 S-A1)

General C. Morton,` (AP.A~-138) a été construit par le kaiser Co. de Richmond, Californie, en 1943-4, acquis par la Marine le 18 mai 1944 ; et commandé le 7 juillet 1944, le Comdr. S. K. Hall aux commandes.

Après le shakedown de San Pedro, Californie, elle s'est distinguée indépendamment pour Guadalcanal, Îles Salomon, le 1er août, en arrivant 16 jours plus tard et en chargeant des troupes liées à la maison. Le 20 août, il est arrivé à San Francisco le 3 septembre, a navigué jusqu'à San Diego et est parti là-bas le 16 septembre pour les îles Russell dans les Salomon. En embarquant des troupes, elle a procédé à Espiritu Santo, Nouvelles Hébrides et de là à Nouméa, Nouvelle-Calédonie, avant de mettre dedans à San Francisco le 24 octobre.

Le général C. Morton a fumé à San Diego et est parti avec un convoi le 10 novembre, faisant escale à Pearl Harbor 6 jours plus tard et atteignant Guadalcanal le 29 novembre. Le 3 décembre, il a navigué pour San Francisco via la Nouvelle-Guinée, l'île de Manus et Nouméa, arrivant le dernier jour de 1944. Après avoir chargé des passagers à Long Beach, en Californie, le général C. Morton s'est distingué le 11 janvier 1945 à destination de Calcutta, Inde, via Melbourne, Australie, elle a atteint Melbourne le 1er février et a fait escale à Calcutta 19 jours plus tard. De retour via Melbourne, Manus, Ulithi, Tinian et Saipan, le transport est arrivé à San Francisco le 25 avril, pour reprendre la route le 5 mai pour le Pacifique Sud-Ouest, Hollandia, Nouvelle-Guinée, Leyte et Manille, PI, étaient des ports d'escale . Le général C. Morton a touché à San Francisco le 5 juillet avant de s'embarquer 3 jours plus tard pour la côte est. Elle a transité le Canal de Panama le 17 juillet et a fait escale à Boston 6 jours plus tard.

Après la mise en cale sèche, le navire très fréquenté est parti le 12 août pour la France, touchant à Marseille le 22 août et retournant à Newport News, en Virginie, le 2 septembre 1945. Lors de son prochain voyage, le transport a navigué via le canal de Suez jusqu'à Karachi,
Inde, et retourna par la même route à New York. Début janvier 1946, le général C. Morton répéta ce voyage, mais fit le tour du monde en faisant escale à Singapour et à Manille avant d'accoster à San Francisco début mars 1946.

Le général C. Morton a été livré au département de la guerre pour être utilisé par l'armée en mai 1946. Il a été réintégré sur la liste de la marine en mars 1950 et affecté à la réserve MSTS. Elle a été rayée de la Navy List le 29 mai 1958.

Le général C. Morton a reçu trois étoiles de bataille pour le service du conflit coréen.


USS Général C.G. Morton AP-138

Demandez un paquet GRATUIT et obtenez les meilleures informations et ressources sur le mésothéliome qui vous sont livrées du jour au lendemain.

Tout le contenu est protégé par le droit d'auteur 2021 | À propos de nous

Publicité d'avocat. Ce site Web est sponsorisé par Seeger Weiss LLP avec des bureaux à New York, New Jersey et Philadelphie. L'adresse principale et le numéro de téléphone de la société sont 55 Challenger Road, Ridgefield Park, New Jersey, (973) 639-9100. Les informations sur ce site Web sont fournies à titre informatif uniquement et ne sont pas destinées à fournir des conseils juridiques ou médicaux spécifiques. N'arrêtez pas de prendre un médicament prescrit sans d'abord consulter votre médecin. L'arrêt d'un médicament prescrit sans l'avis de votre médecin peut entraîner des blessures ou la mort. Les résultats antérieurs de Seeger Weiss LLP ou de ses avocats ne garantissent ni ne prédisent un résultat similaire en ce qui concerne toute question future. Si vous êtes un détenteur légal des droits d'auteur et pensez qu'une page de ce site dépasse les limites de « l'utilisation équitable » et enfreint les droits d'auteur de votre client, nous pouvons être contactés concernant les questions de droit d'auteur à l'adresse [email protected]


L'histoire douloureuse de l'anesthésie moderne


Dans une chronique mensuelle pour PBS NewsHour, le Dr Howard Markel revient sur des moments qui ont changé le cours de la médecine moderne lors de leurs anniversaires, comme l'utilisation révolutionnaire de l'anesthésie sur un patient en chirurgie le 16 octobre 1846. Photo de Image Source.

L'un des grands moments de la longue histoire de la médecine s'est produit un matin d'automne tendu dans l'amphithéâtre chirurgical du Massachusetts General Hospital de Boston.

C'est là, le 16 octobre 1846, qu'un dentiste du nom de William T. G. Morton administra un anesthésique efficace à un patient en chirurgie. John Warren, un chirurgien inquiet, et Glenn Abbott, un jeune homme encore plus nerveux, sur le point de subir l'ablation d'une tumeur vasculaire du côté gauche de son cou, ont consenti à ce qui est devenu une révolution scientifique des plus magnifiques.

Warren et Abbott ont tous deux suivi la procédure sans douleur, bien que certains aient noté qu'Abbott s'est déplacé un peu vers la fin. Se détournant de la table d'opération pour se diriger vers la galerie remplie d'étudiants en médecine légitimement abasourdis, le Dr Warren s'est exclamé joyeusement : « Messieurs, ce n'est pas une farce ! »

William Thomas Green Morton. Photo : Wikimedia Commons.

Morton a nommé sa "création" Letheon, d'après la rivière Lethe de la mythologie grecque. Boire ses eaux, disaient les anciens, effaçait des souvenirs douloureux. À peine un élixir aussi exotique, l'étoffe de Morton était en fait de l'éther sulfurique.

Indépendamment de sa composition, Letheon a inspiré une légion de chirurgiens entreprenants pour concevoir et exécuter un arsenal de procédures invasives vitales qui continuent de profiter à l'humanité à ce jour.

Pourtant, alors que la découverte de l'anesthésie était une véritable bénédiction pour l'humanité, elle ne s'est pas avérée aussi bonne pour son "découvreur", William T. G. Morton.

Morton a commencé ses études dentaires à Baltimore en 1840. Deux ans plus tard, il a ouvert un cabinet à Hartford, travaillant finalement avec un dentiste nommé Horace Wells. À cette époque, les chirurgiens ne pouvaient offrir aux patients que l'opium et l'alcool pour supporter la douleur atroce engendrée par les scalpels.

De la fin du XVIIIe siècle jusque dans les années 1840, les médecins et les chimistes ont expérimenté sans succès des agents tels que l'oxyde nitreux, l'éther, le dioxyde de carbone et d'autres produits chimiques. À une époque précédant l'adoption de l'hygiène dentaire quotidienne et des traitements au fluorure, les extractions dentaires atroce faisaient partie trop courante de l'expérience humaine. Par conséquent, les dentistes ont rejoint les médecins et les chirurgiens dans la recherche semblable au Saint Graal de substances sûres et efficaces pour vaincre la douleur opératoire.

À cette époque, Morton et Wells ont mené des expériences utilisant du protoxyde d'azote, y compris une démonstration à la Harvard Medical School en 1845 qui n'a pas réussi à calmer complètement la douleur d'un étudiant se soumettant à un arrachage de dent, humiliant ainsi publiquement les dentistes. Bien que Morton et Wells aient dissous leur partenariat à l'amiable, Morton a poursuivi sa recherche d'agents anesthésiques.

Un an plus tôt, en 1844, pendant des études à la Harvard Medical School (qui ont été interrompues par des difficultés financières), Morton a assisté aux cours du professeur de chimie Charles Jackson. Une session portait sur la façon dont l'éther sulfurique, un solvant organique commun, pouvait rendre une personne inconsciente et même insensible.

Une illustration de la première utilisation de l'éther comme anesthésique en 1846 par le chirurgien-dentiste W.T.G. Morton. Photo : Wikimedia Commons.

Se souvenant de ces leçons au cours de l'été 1846, Morton acheta des bouteilles de ce produit à son pharmacien local et commença à s'exposer, ainsi qu'une ménagerie d'animaux de compagnie, aux vapeurs d'éther. Satisfait de sa sécurité et de sa fiabilité, il a commencé à utiliser de l'éther sur ses patients dentaires.

Bientôt, des foules de Bostoniens endoloris et agitant des dollars se sont rendus à son bureau. Morton savourait son succès financier, mais s'aperçut rapidement que Letheon était bon pour bien plus que arracher les dents.

La démonstration remarquable de Morton au Massachusetts General Hospital qui, il y a longtemps, au matin d'octobre, a transformé son statut de dentiste rentable en guérisseur de renommée internationale.

Mais la demi-vie de sa célébrité s'est avérée être molto presto, suivie d'une période interminable d'infamie et de difficultés au cours de laquelle il a été fustigé pour avoir insisté pour demander un brevet exclusif sur Letheon.

Aux États-Unis du milieu du XIXe siècle, il était considéré comme inconvenant, voire avide, que les membres de la profession médicale profitent de découvertes qui profitaient universellement à l'humanité, en particulier d'un brevet pour ce qui s'est avéré être le sulfurique facilement acquis. éther.

Tant que Morton s'en tenait à la dentisterie, selon de nombreux médecins, il pouvait faire ce qu'il voulait, mais s'il souhaitait que Letheon soit accepté par les médecins et les chirurgiens, il devait se conformer à ce qu'ils considéraient comme leurs idéaux et leur éthique supérieurs.

Morton a agressivement rejeté toutes ces suggestions, à son grand détriment. Il y avait aussi la question du crédit. Horace Wells a exigé sa part. Crawford W. Long aussi, un praticien géorgien qui prétendait avoir utilisé de l'oxyde nitreux et de l'éther dès 1842 mais qui était trop occupé pour publier ses découvertes. L'ancien professeur de Morton, Charles Jackson, a fait valoir que lui aussi méritait une part de l'action.

Inhalateur d'éther, ch. 1846, développé par William T.G. Morton.

Alors que beaucoup jouaient avec des agents anesthésiques, c'est Morton qui a le premier développé un nouvel instrument d'administration pour permettre l'inhalation d'éther pendant une opération.

L'appareil consistait en un flacon en verre avec un embout buccal en bois qui pouvait être ouvert et fermé en fonction de l'état de conscience du patient.

C'était critique parce que d'autres expérimentateurs, y compris Wells et Long, ne pouvaient pas assurer la réversibilité rapide de l'état anesthésique et surdosaient souvent leurs patients.

Le génie de Morton résidait non seulement dans ses observations du pouvoir de l'éther, mais aussi dans son développement d'une méthode grossière mais scientifique de régulation de son inhalation, créant ainsi le domaine de l'anesthésiologie.

Tout le monde ne l'a pas vu de cette façon. Combattant vigoureusement les campagnes chuchotées et criées contre lui, le dentiste passa ses jours restants à essayer de restaurer sa réputation souillée. Morton est mort fauché et aigri en 1868. Il faudra encore plusieurs décennies avant que Morton ne revienne à juste titre au panthéon des grands médecins.

La recherche de Morton pour vaincre la douleur a été une contribution remarquable à la médecine et à la santé humaine, même si cela ne s'est pas avéré être le succès personnel et financier dont il rêvait tant.

Même si Morton était un homme accompli, il n'était que trop humain.
Malheureusement, comme de nombreux êtres humains, Morton a agressivement recherché la célébrité, la gloire, la réussite professionnelle et la gratification de l'ego au détriment de la contemplation judicieuse des conséquences de ses actions. C'était une quête qui lui a coûté cher alors même qu'elle a rendu la vie et les maladies corrigibles chirurgicalement bien meilleures pour le reste d'entre nous.

Dr Howard Markel écrit une chronique mensuelle pour le site Web de PBS NewsHour, soulignant l'anniversaire d'un événement capital qui continue de façonner la médecine moderne. Il est le directeur du Center for the History of Medicine et George E. Wantz Distinguished Professor of the History of Medicine à l'Université du Michigan.

Il est l'auteur ou l'éditeur de 10 livres, dont “Quarantine ! Les immigrants juifs d'Europe de l'Est et les épidémies de New York de 1892, « Quand les germes voyagent : six épidémies majeures qui ont envahi l'Amérique depuis 1900 et les craintes qu'ils ont déclenchées » et « Une anatomie de la toxicomanie : Sigmund Freud, William Halsted et la drogue miracle cocaïne.”


Historique des opérations[modifier | modifier la source]

Général G. G. Morton (APA-138) a été construit par la Kaiser Co. de Richmond, Californie, en 1943-44 acquis par la Marine le 18 mai 1944 et commandé le 7 juillet 1944, Comdr. S. K. Hall aux commandes.

Après le shakedown de San Pedro, Californie, elle s'est distinguée indépendamment pour Guadalcanal, Îles Salomon, le 1er août, en arrivant 16 jours plus tard et en chargeant des troupes liées à la maison. Le 20 août, il est arrivé à San Francisco le 3 septembre, a navigué jusqu'à San Diego et est parti là-bas le 16 septembre pour les îles Russell 39 jours plus tard dans les Salomon. En embarquant des troupes, elle a procédé à Espiritu Santo, Nouvelles Hébrides et de là à Nouméa, Nouvelle-Calédonie, avant de mettre dedans à San Francisco le 24 octobre.

Général C. G. Morton a fumé à San Diego et est parti avec un convoi le 10 novembre, faisant escale à Pearl Harbor six jours plus tard et atteignant Guadalcanal le 29 novembre. Le 3 décembre, il a navigué pour San Francisco via la Nouvelle-Guinée, l'île de Manus et Nouméa, arrivant le dernier jour de 1944. Après avoir chargé des passagers à Long Beach, en Californie, Général C. G. Morton s'est démarqué le 11 janvier 1945 à destination de Calcutta, en Inde, via Melbourne, en Australie, il a atteint Melbourne le 1er février et a fait escale à Calcutta 19 jours plus tard. De retour via Melbourne, Manus, Ulithi, Tinian et Saipan, le transport est arrivé à San Francisco le 25 avril, pour reprendre la route le 5 mai pour le Pacifique Sud-Ouest, Hollandia, Nouvelle-Guinée, Leyte et Manille, Philippines, étaient des ports d'escale . Général C. G. Morton touché à San Francisco le 5 juillet avant de s'embarquer trois jours plus tard pour la côte est. Elle a transité le Canal de Panama le 17 juillet et a fait escale à Boston six jours plus tard.

Après la mise en cale sèche, le navire très fréquenté est parti le 12 août pour la France, touchant à Marseille le 22 août et retournant à Newport News, Virginie, le 2 septembre 1945. Lors de son prochain voyage, le transport a navigué via le canal de Suez à Karachi, en Inde, et est revenu par le même itinéraire vers New York. Début janvier 1946 Général C. G. Morton a répété ce voyage, mais a navigué autour du monde faisant escale à Singapour et Manille avant d'accoster à San Francisco au début de mars 1946. Le capitaine du navire devait être démis de ses fonctions à l'arrivée, le deuxième voyage allongé était dû à son désir de voir comme une grande partie du monde que possible pendant qu'il était dans la Marine. En raison du retard, les troupes rentrant d'Inde huaient le capitaine chaque fois qu'il apparaissait sur le pont, ce qui les amenait à être répertoriés comme « mutins ».

Général C. G. Morton a été livré au ministère de la Guerre pour être utilisé par l'armée en mai 1946.

Au lendemain de l'éruption de 1948 du volcan philippin Mont Hibok-Hibok, USAT Général C. G. Morton a été envoyé de Manille pour aider aux évacuations. En raison du manque de quais à Camiguin (emplacement du mont Hibok-Hibok), tous ceux qui fuyaient ont dû embarquer sur le navire à partir de petites embarcations. Dans la confusion, aucun nombre précis de personnes évacuées n'était disponible. ΐ]

Elle a été réintégrée sur la liste de marine en mars 1950 et affectée à la réserve MSTS.

Pendant la guerre de Corée, Général C. G. Morton a été réactivé et a participé aux campagnes suivantes : Ώ]

  • Agression nord-coréenne, du 1er au 2 août 1950 au 8 octobre 1952
  • Agression de la Chine communiste, du 21 au 28 décembre 1950
  • Première contre-offensive de l'ONU, du 10 au 11 février 1951

Le 15 février 1951, à 200 milles marins (370 km 230 mi) à l'est de Tokyo, le pétrolier suédois MV Christer Galien a heurté un rocher submergé, brisant une partie de la proue du navire. Après avoir reçu des appels de détresse, Général C. G. Morton et SS Phénix marin tous deux ont aidé à sauver les 47 passagers et membres d'équipage. Α]

En août 1952, Général C. G. Morton est arrivé à San Francisco avec 526 vétérans de l'armée et de la marine de la guerre de Corée et 284 civils d'Hawaï. Β]

En 1953 (mois inconnu), Général C. G. Morton a quitté San Francisco avec un nombre indéterminé de troupes pour la guerre de Corée. Les troupes comprenaient des membres de la 315e division aérienne de l'Air Force, "Combat Cargo".

Rayé à nouveau de la Navy List le 29 mai 1958, Général C. G. Morton a été vendu à Central Gulf Lines en 1967 Γ] et ​​rebaptisé SS Vague verte. Ώ] Elle a été démolie à Taïwan en février 1980. Ώ]

Général C. G. Morton a reçu trois étoiles de bataille pour le service de la guerre de Corée.


Une histoire narrative de la messe générale

En 1810, les États-Unis ne pouvaient se targuer que de deux hôpitaux généraux, le Pennsylvania Hospital (fondé en 1756) et le New York Hospital (fondé en 1791). Localement, l'hôpital marin de Charlestown s'occupait des besoins des marins et le Boston Dispensary s'occupait des soins ambulatoires des pauvres, mais aucun établissement de la Nouvelle-Angleterre au début du XIXe siècle n'offrait de soins médicaux 24 heures sur 24 aux membres du grand public.

Le révérend John Bartlett, aumônier de l'aumônerie de Boston, rêvait de créer un tel hôpital, qui offrirait des soins médicaux de pointe aux malades physiques ou mentaux tout en offrant de meilleures possibilités de formation médicale pratique. Il s'est associé à des médecins partageant les mêmes idées et à des citoyens de premier plan pour organiser une campagne de financement.

Le Dr James Jackson et le Dr John Collins Warren étaient parmi les principaux partisans de ce plan. En 1811, la législature du Massachusetts a accordé une charte pour l'incorporation du Massachusetts General Hospital et la collecte de fonds a eu lieu, des dons allant de 0,25 $ à 20 000 $, et comprenant des cadeaux inhabituels comme une truie de 273 livres. En 1816, les fiduciaires achetèrent et rénovèrent un domaine à Charlestown (dans une zone plus tard absorbée par Somerville) pour l'utiliser comme centre de santé mentale de Mass General. Cela est devenu McLean Asylum (maintenant l'hôpital McLean à Belmont).

Peu de temps après, un champ de quatre acres dans le West End de Boston connu sous le nom de Prince's Pasture a été acquis pour la construction de l'hôpital général. Le bâtiment d'origine, The Bulfinch, a ouvert ses portes le 3 septembre 1821, pour l'admission du premier patient de Mass General, un sellier atteint de syphilis, que, les dossiers notent soigneusement, il avait contracté à New York.

Mass General dans sa première année de fonctionnement est devenu le premier hôpital universitaire de la Harvard Medical School. Depuis, elle a été le théâtre de nombreux changements, d'une expansion et de plus de progrès en médecine qu'on ne peut facilement en énumérer.


Californie. 1350

Les chamanes incas mâchaient des feuilles de coca mélangées à de la cendre végétale et versaient leur salive chargée de cocaïne dans les plaies des patients.

Paracelse (1493-1541) : le premier à utiliser de l'éther sur les animaux.

Ressources

WLM Rare Book Room – Copies numériques de titres :

Livres rares : Ether et anesthésie

Darwin éthérise les pièges à mouches de Vénus

WLM Rare Book Room – Copies numériques de titres :

Le médecin et botaniste allemand Valerius Cordus (1515-1544) synthétise l'éther diéthylique en distillant de l'éthanol et de l'acide sulfurique dans ce qu'il a appelé « l'huile douce de vitriol ».

Ressources

WLM Rare Book Room – Copies numériques de titres :

Expositions du musée en ligne WLM :

Bulletin de l'ASA Des articles:

La synthèse d'éther de Cordus

Dispositif d'éther "Pender Lemon" plaqué or

WLM Rare Book Room – Copies numériques de titres :

Expositions du musée en ligne WLM :

Bulletin de l'ASA Des articles:

Le futur Sir Christopher Wren et le chimiste anglo-irlandais Robert Boyle (1627-1691) ont été les pionniers de la thérapie intraveineuse en injectant de l'opium à travers une plume d'oie dans la veine d'un chien.

Ressources

WLM Rare Book Room – Copies numériques de titres :

Expositions du musée en ligne WLM :

Boyle, un chimiste des plus sceptiques

WLM Rare Book Room – Copies numériques de titres :

Expositions du musée en ligne WLM :


Club des garçons Steve Daru (1957)

Les Boys Clubs de Tucson ont commencé le 27 novembre 1956 lorsque M. A. H. Fahringer des Boys Clubs of America a rencontré un comité du Lions Club pour discuter de l'organisation d'un Boys Club. Grâce aux efforts de M. Charles Elkins et d'autres membres intéressés du Lions Club, le Boys Club de Tucson a été incorporé le 21 août 1957. Le juge Norman E. Green est devenu le premier président de l'organisation. Le 21 mai 1958, M. Robert Daru a fait don de la propriété qui est maintenant le site de l'unité Steve Daru. Le club a ouvert ses portes en juin 1963 sous la direction de M. Ray Keating et a reçu sa charte des Boys Clubs of America le 30 novembre 1964.

En 1988, le Steve Daru Clubhouse original a été fermé et un clubhouse modulaire a été placé dans Northwest Park pour abriter les activités du club. En 1992, un nouveau club-house a été construit pour remplacer le bâtiment modulaire grâce à des fonds donnés par Frank X. Morton. Le bâtiment modulaire a été déplacé à Mission Park.

Old Pueblo Boys Club (1963)

En 1962, M. Bill Merodias a loué un vieil immeuble au 164 S. Main Street pour la boxe. Avec l'aide du Lions Club et du Catalina Optimist Club, le Old Pueblo Boys Club a été incorporé le 8 février 1963. M. Robert King a été élu président. En 1969, en raison du programme de rénovation urbaine, Old Pueblo a été contraint de trouver d'autres installations. Le club a acheté la propriété de la 36e rue et a commencé à fonctionner, sous la direction de M. Howard Stuckey. Old Pueblo a été affrété par les Boys Clubs of America en février 1970.

En 1988, l'ancien club-house a été remplacé par un nouveau club-house dans le parc Pueblo Gardens et rebaptisé Holmes Tuttle Branch.

Clubs de garçons de Tucson, Inc. (1971)

Les deux clubs ont fusionné en décembre 1970 pour devenir les Boys Clubs de Tucson. Le 11 janvier 1971, ils ont été incorporés en une seule organisation.

Garçons et filles Clubs de Tucson (1985)

Lors de l'assemblée annuelle, tenue le 21 février 1985, la société, afin de refléter correctement à la communauté l'étendue des services fournis par les Boys Clubs de Tucson à tous les jeunes, a voté pour changer le nom en Boys & Girls Clubs of Tucson. . Le changement de nom a pris le format d'un « DBA » (faire des affaires sous le nom) et la dénomination sociale telle qu'enregistrée auprès de l'État est restée Boys Clubs of Tucson, Inc.

Clubs garçons et filles de Tucson, Inc. (1988)

En novembre 1988, le DBA a été abandonné et la raison sociale du club a été changée en Boys & Girls Clubs of Tucson, Inc.

Roy Drachman Boys & Girls Club (1992)

Les bâtiments modulaires de Steve Daru ont été placés à Mission Park, rénovés et inaugurés le 3 novembre 1992 en tant que troisième site des Boys & Girls Clubs de Tucson. Le club-house a été nommé en l'honneur de Roy Drachman, président d'honneur de la campagne de financement en 1986 et contributeur majeur du Boys & Girls Club. Frank X. Morton a fourni les fonds d'exploitation de la première année pour ce nouveau pavillon. Al Lothrop et les Tucson Conquistadores ont financé la construction du gymnase en 1994. En 1995, le centre d'activités permanent a été construit grâce au solide soutien de la ville, du comté et de nos donateurs. La nouvelle installation a été inaugurée en 1996.

Pascua Yaqui Boys & Girls Club (1999)

À la demande du Conseil tribal, un programme Boys & Girls Club a été lancé sur la réserve Pascua Yaqui le 5 janvier. Le programme est financé par le Conseil et était à l'origine hébergé dans un bâtiment tribal existant. Le club a emménagé dans son propre bâtiment modulaire à Torim Park en novembre 1999. La tribu prévoit de construire un club-house permanent à l'avenir.

Frank & Edith Morton Clubhouse (2003)

Frank X. Morton croyait passionnément au « rêve américain ». Il croyait également au Boys Club parce qu'il l'a aidé à vivre ce rêve. En tant que jeune garçon, Frank était membre du Boys Club de San Francisco et l'a crédité de l'avoir aidé à prendre la bonne voie en lui offrant un endroit sûr hors des rues du difficile Mission District. Lorsque lui et sa femme Edith ont déménagé à Tucson dans les années 1970, il s'est à nouveau impliqué dans les clubs Boys & Girls parce que son petit-fils en était membre. Il a vu quelle merveilleuse opportunité le club offrait non seulement à son petit-fils, mais aussi à d'autres jeunes. Étant une personne très directe et terre-à-terre, il a choisi d'investir dans l'avenir de Tucson et a créé une dotation pour l'exploitation du Frank & Edith Morton Clubhouse. Frank Morton est décédé en 1995.

Le nouveau club-house, situé sur le campus de l'école intermédiaire Doolen, a ouvert ses portes en novembre 2003. Il s'agit d'un effort de collaboration avec le district scolaire unifié de Tucson.

Centre de ressources Harold Ashton (2003)

L'amour d'Harold pour le travail manuel l'a amené à quitter l'université sa deuxième année et à acheter sa première entreprise à l'âge de 20 ans. En 1946, il a ouvert la société Ashton, qui est aujourd'hui devenue une entreprise très prospère employant 300 à 350 personnes. . Harold a soutenu les Boys & Girls Clubs of Tucson parce qu'il croyait : « Je suis plus que jamais sentimental envers les jeunes. Les enfants développent des habitudes, une éthique de travail et des désirs qui restent pour le reste de leurs années. Des organisations comme les Boys & Girls Clubs, qui sont bien gérées, peuvent aider les enfants à développer des modèles positifs dès leur plus jeune âge.”

Avant son décès en novembre 2003, la généreuse contribution de Harold a été utilisée pour construire un nouvel espace administratif pour les Boys & Girls Clubs de Tucson, le Harold Ashton Resource Center. Sa générosité a également permis de doter les futurs programmes des enfants membres des Boys & Girls Clubs de Tucson. Le centre de ressources Harold Ashton est situé au deuxième étage de l'installation de Grant Road, au-dessus du Frank & Edith Morton Clubhouse.

Jim & Vicki Click Club (2007)

Le Jim & Vicki Click Clubhouse, sur le campus de l'école élémentaire Roberts, sera le deuxième projet de collaboration avec le district scolaire unifié de Tucson. Les fonds de fonctionnement pour les trois premières années ont été promis par un groupe spécial de supporters nommé le Jim & Vicki Click Club « Founders Circle ». L'école primaire Roberts a accepté de fournir un espace au personnel des clubs garçons et filles pour exécuter ses programmes dans leurs installations pendant la construction. La grande ouverture de ce club a eu lieu le 4 avril 2008 et le club a ouvert ses portes la semaine du 8 avril 2008.

Nous sommes fiers de recevoir cette cote convoitée de 4 étoiles pour une gestion budgétaire saine et un engagement envers la responsabilité et la transparence.


Jusqu'à Darwin : la science et les origines de la race

Bien sûr, il est toujours important de se rappeler que les erreurs du passé ainsi que les triomphes (ou les héros, qui ont fait l'objet d'une série d'articles de blog récents ailleurs : voir, par exemple, les articles de Thony Christie ‏ @rmathematicus et Rebekah Higgitt @beckyfh "Pourquoi whiggish ne fera pas l'affaire" ) ne semblent souvent pas, avec le recul, si triomphales ou héroïques. Les Message de la Royal Society a coïncidé avec la mort de J.P. Rushton et sert ainsi à nous rappeler que les erreurs du passé ne se contentent pas de “aller le chemin”. Il est donc bon que le blog de la Royal Society ait choisi d'attirer l'attention sur Josiah Nott et George R. Gliddon’s Types d'humanité, ou, recherches ethnologiques : basées sur les monuments antiques, les peintures, les sculptures et les crânes des races, et sur leur histoire naturelle, géographique, philologique et biblique et l'idéologie scientifique polygéniste qui comme celle des eugénistes nous hantent encore.

Et c'est une bonne raison de passer quelques instants à ajouter quelques notes marginales au Message de la Royal Society car il est difficile de résoudre de tels problèmes, surtout lorsque l'invite est le Mois de l'histoire des Noirs(*) avec ses publics et ses demandes concurrents.

C'est peut-être le résultat de demandes et de publics concurrents, comme c'est si souvent le cas ! – que certains aspects du polygénisme ne sont pas toujours aussi évidents dans le post. Il est facile de trop insister sur les discontinuités et les continuités de la théorie polygénique lorsque nous essayons de donner un sens à sa place dans l'histoire naturelle classique et plus tard dans la biologie (et aussi dans la sociologie). Il y a des aspects de l'histoire naturelle qui nous sont très familiers et qui pourtant sont aussi révélateurs de façons fondamentalement différentes de comprendre le monde. Bien qu'il soit tentant de simplement projeter des catégories telles que la biologie et des figures telles que le scientifique dans le passé, l'histoire naturelle classique n'était pas l'étude de la vie et la figure du scientifique telle que nous la connaissons n'existait pas. Le scientifique en tant que terme apparaît à l'apogée de l'histoire naturelle classique, mais ce n'est que lorsque nous avons l'étude de la vie que nous pouvons enfin reconnaître le scientifique tel que nous le connaissons. (**) Au lieu de la confusion du temps et des perspectives trouvées dans le paragraphe initial, il vaudrait mieux aller plus loin et comprendre l'« étude de la race » et les catalogues de différences générés par de telles études comme ayant plus que simplement fasciné les XVIIIe et XIXe siècles : c'était un objet central de Natural Histoire. L'"étude de la race" a consolidé la race en tant qu'objet d'analyse scientifique rationnelle dans les limites de l'histoire naturelle classique, comme elle le fait aujourd'hui dans le cas de la race et de la biologie. L'autorité de l'histoire naturelle en tant que science découle en partie de son offre de "règles systématiques satisfaisantes pour décrire et expliquer les différences" que les États-nations européens ont trouvées au cours de leur expansion mondiale. Les « différences de race et de race » sont devenues le moyen de comprendre systématiquement la variété humaine et de fournir une réponse à la question des espèces.

Oublier cela est l'une des raisons pour lesquelles il nous semble que « les discussions sur la race ont toujours été liées aux perceptions de la moralité, de l'intelligence et de la civilisation » parce que la race a été utilisée depuis les XVIIe et XVIIIe siècles comme moyen de donner un sens à différences et légitimer les morales et les idéologies scientifiques. Il est donc juste de dire que la race a « toujours été liée aux perceptions de la moralité, de l'intelligence et de la civilisation » précisément parce qu'elle apparaît à côté et à l'intérieur de ces « perceptions » (c'est-à-dire les relations sociales). Après tout, la race est elle-même une idéologie scientifique au sens de Canguilhem du terme :

Il est donc plus correct de dire que la race n'a «toujours joué son rôle actuel que si l'on prend comme époque historique les 17e - 20e siècles.

Souvent, la discussion sur la variété humaine est sortie de ce contexte historique et social pour être considérée comme un choix entre un "concept purement biologique" et "au moins en partie" une construction sociale et culturelle". Plutôt que cette simple relation binaire, Nature et Société sont dialectiquement liées, i. e., ils sont mutuellement constitutifs. L'un serait impossible sans l'autre, et à notre époque les domaines de la biologie, de l'anthropologie, de la psychologie et de la sociologie marquent cette relation par leur recherche incessante de la nature humaine. Comprendre cela est essentiel pour comprendre à quel point la race est fascinante pour les naturalistes et pourquoi elle semblait contenir la réponse à la question des espèces.

C'était l'approche acceptée de la question des espèces dans les années qui ont précédé la L'origine des espècesque les espèces sont fixes et que les races constituent des espèces distinctes avec des origines distinctes dans la nature ou la création.
Il peut être intéressant que Races autochtones était le suivi de Types d'humanité, qui était une œuvre monumentale en termes de contributeurs, de portée et de dévouement à Samuel G. Morton. C'était l'apogée du travail de l'école américaine et la somme de la théorie polygénique des origines humaines et de la fixité des espèces. Il ne serait mis de côté que par les Darwin’s L'origine des espèces, une fouille de la capitale chez les pasteurs, a écrit Nott en 1861. Comme Darwin l'admettra plus tard dans le Descente de l'homme, la théorie polygénique avait été la cible de son argumentation monogénique pour la descendance avec modification : ‘. lorsque le principe de l'évolution sera généralement accepté, comme il le sera sûrement avant longtemps, la dispute entre les monogénistes et les polygénistes mourra d'une mort silencieuse et inaperçue. » (Charles Darwin, Descente de l'homme, p. 235) Races autochtones est venu à la fin de l'ère polygénique plutôt qu'au début, ce qui est une impression que la section pourrait laisser à un lecteur occasionnel. En fait, la référence suivante à Long’s 1774 Histoire de la Jamaïque indique lui-même que Nott et Gliddon sont arrivés au terme d'une longue période d'investigations rationnelles et scientifiques. C'est entre la publication de Types d'humanité et Races autochtones que l'on découvre les Gobineau Essai sur l’inégalité des races humaines.

Races autochtones était en grande partie l'œuvre de George Gliddon. Nott n'était pas intéressé à revisiter ce qu'il considérait comme le fait scientifique établi des origines multiples des races, tandis que Gliddon était moins un naturaliste qu'un showman, un vulgarisateur et un ancien diplomate qui idolâtrait Samuel G. Morton au point de voler l'égyptien. tombes et tombes pour crania à envoyer à Morton. Il mourut peu de temps après la publication de Races autochtones de fièvre ayant cherché fortune en Amérique centrale où il était parti frustré de ne pas avoir été sélectionné pour mettre en œuvre l'un de ses projets : un chameau corp pour l'armée américaine à déployer dans les déserts du Sud-Ouest.

De William Stanton’s Les taches du léopard, toujours l'un des meilleurs ouvrages sur l'école américaine, sur Races autochtones ***

Nott’s avait attiré l'attention sur la publication de Gobineau’s Essai sur l'inégalité seulement 2 ans après Types of Mankind. Nott sensed that the polygenic theory had so won the day that the dispute with religion would soon end in favor of the polygenists. There was no reason to continue arguing with John Bachman (see related posts below) and others.

Count Gobineau, therefore, accepts the existing diversity of races as at least an accomplished fact and draws lessons of wisdom from the plain teachings of history. Man with him ceases to be an abstraction each race, each nation, is made a separate study, and a fertile but unexplored field is opened to our view.
Our author leans strongly towards a belief in the original diversity of races, but has evidently been much embarrassed in arriving at conclusions by religious scruples and by the want of accurate knowledge in that part of natural history which treats of the designation of species and the laws of hybridity he has been taught to believe that two distinct species cannot produce perfectly prolific offspring, and therefore concludes that all races of men must be of one origin, because they are prolific inter se. My appendix will therefore be devoted mainly to this question of species.

Our author has taken the facts of Dr. Morton at second hand, and, moreover, had not before him Dr. Morton's later tables and more matured deductions.

Just as important to observe is Nott’s advocacy of free scientific inquiry:

Mr. Gobineau remarks (p. 361), that he has very serious doubts as to the unity of origin. “These doubts, however,” he continues, “I am compelled to repress, because they are in contradiction to a scientific fact, which I cannot refute—the prolificness of halfbreeds and secondly, what is of much greater weight with me, they impugn a religious interpretation sanctioned by the church.”

. I shall venture on a few remarks upon this last scruple of the author, which is shared by many investigators of this interesting subject.

‘The strict rule of scientific scrutiny,’ says the most learned and formidable opponent in the adversary's camp, ‘exacts, according to modern philosophers, in matters of inductive reasoning, an exclusive homage. It requires that we should close our eyes against all presumptive and exterior evidence, and abstract our minds from all considerations not derived from the matters of fact which bear immediately on the question. The maxim we have to follow in such controversies is ‘fiat justitia, ruat coelum.’ [“Let justice be done though the heavens fall.”] In fact, what is actually true, it is always desirous to know, whatever consequences may arise from its admission" (citing Prichard, Nat. Hist. of Man, p. 8. London, 1843)

To this sentiment I cheerfully subscribe: it has always been my maxim. Yet I find it necessary, in treating of this subject, to touch on its biblical connections, for although "we have great reason to rejoice at the improved tone of toleration, or even liberality which prevails in this country, the day has not come when science can be severed from theology, and the student of nature can calmly follow her truths, no matter whither they may lead. What a mortifying picture do we behold in the histories of astronomy, geology, chronology, cosmogony, geographical distribution of animals, &c. they have been compelled to fight their way, step by step, through human passion and prejudice, from their supposed contradiction to Holy Writ. But science has been vindicated—their great truths hare been established, and the Bible stands as firmly as it did before. The last great struggle between science and theology is the one we are now engaged in—the natural history of man—it has now, for the first time, a fair hearing before Christendom, and all any question should ask is "daylight and fair play."

The Bible should not be regarded as a text-book of natural history. On the contrary, it must be admitted that none of the writers of the Old or New Testament give the slightest evidence of knowledge in any department of science beyond that of their profane contemporaries and we hold that the natural history of man is a department of science which should be placed upon the same footing with others, and its facts dispassionately investigated. What we require for our guidance in this world is truth, and the history of science shows how long it has been stifled by bigotry and error. (Nott in Hotz/Gobineau, pp.505-6)
The study of race and the demand for “free scientific inquiry” are not easily disentangled and Nott’s call sounds at times suspiciously like the chants of scientists like Rushton, although Nott directed his demand towards tradition and religious authority while Rushton directed his towards rational inquiry itself.

Works such as Types of Mankind et Indigenous Races are just some of the many texts, institutions, and social relations that were important for defining race and its use as the basis for the classifications of human variety. We find the Species Question permeating the great and minor works of Natural History, especially in the 18th and 19th centuries just as we find slavery and domination.

__________________
(*) Black History Month – which for our purposes we should take to mean not only the history of Black people, but also the retrieval of the former truths that we would repress or forget. Certainly this should be a consistent activity, just as Black history should not be ghettoized to one month a year. At least, it is not, as in the United States, observed during the shortest month of the year.

(**) Some are attempting to reform Natural History and take it away from the Natural/travel log/memoirist writers, but this will be a fundamentally different Natural History, one whose practitioners will already be aware of the variability of species, natural & sexual selection, descent with modification, the expanded fossil record, genetics, the germ theory of disease, the unity of humans as one species, etc. The list could be extended further, but that should suffice to note that these efforts will, if successful, be a very different Natural History.

(***) Stephen Jay Gould based the historical aspects of his Mismeasure of Man chapter on Morton on Stanton’s text. Stanton provided a wealth of information and insights, but his purposes were not the same as Gould’s and Gould could have benefited from reading Morton, Nott, et al. in more detail.

Canguilhem, Georges, 1988. Ideology and Rationality in the History of the Life Sciences. Cambridge: MIT Press.

Cussins, Jessica. "Race and Medicine guidelines Using Race in Medicine? Seven Guidelines for Doing so Responsibly"
http://www.biopoliticaltimes.org/article.php?id=6392

Gobineau, Arthur, comte de. 1853. Essai sur l'inégalité des races humaines (1884 ed.). Paris : Firmin-Didot
http://archive.org/details/essaisurlingal01gobi

Gobineau, Arthur, comte de. 1856. The moral and intellectual diversity of races, with particular reference to their respective influence in the civil and political history of mankind / from the French by Count A. De Gobineau with an analytical introduction and copious historical notes by H. Hotz to which is added an appendix containing a summary of the latest scientific facts bearing upon the question of unity or plurality of species by J. C. Nott (1856). J. B. Lippincott.
http://archive.org/details/moralintellectua00gobi

Morton, Samuel George and George Combe. 1839. Crania americana or, A comparative view of the skulls of various aboriginal nations of North and South America. To which is prefixed an essay on the varieties of the human species. Philadelphia, J. Dobson London, Simpkin, Marshall & co.
http://archive.org/details/Craniaamericana00Mort

Morton, Samuel George. 1844. Crania Aegyptiaca: Or, Observations on Egyptian Ethnography. J. Penington
http://archive.org/details/craniaaegyptiac00mortgoog

Morton, Samuel George. 1840. Catalogue of skulls of man and the inferior animals in the collection of Samuel George Morton. Philadelphia : Printed by Turner & Fisher for the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia.
http://archive.org/details/60411940R.nlm.nih.gov

Nott, Josiah Clark, 1804-1873 Gliddon, George R. (George Robins) Morton, Samuel George Agassiz, Louis Usher, William Patterson, Henry S. (Henry Stuart). 1851. Types of mankind, or, Ethnological researches : based upon the ancient monuments, paintings, sculptures, and crania of races, and upon their natural, geographical, philological, and biblical history.
Philadelphia : J.B. Lippincott
http://archive.org/details/typesofmankindor01nott

Nott, Josiah Clark, 1804-1873 Gliddon, George R. 1857. Indigenous races of the earth or, New chapters of ethnological inquiry including monographs on special departments. Philadelphia : J.B. Lippincott & Co. [etc., etc.]
http://archive.org/details/cu31924029883752

Prichard, James Cowles and Edwin Norris. 1855. The Natural History of Man: Comprising Inquiries Into the Modifying Influence of Physical and Moral Agencies of the Different Tribes of the Human Family. Paris: H. Baillière.
http://archive.org/details/naturalhistorym00norrgoog

Stanton, William. 1960. The Leopard’s Spots: Scientific Attitudes Toward Race in America, 1815-1859. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.


126th Infantry Regiment

The following is taken from New York in the War of the Rebellion, 3e éd. Frederick Phisterer. Albany: J. B. Lyon Company, 1912.
Colonel Eliakim Sherrill received authority, July 15, 1862, to raise this regiment in the counties of Ontario, Seneca and Yates it was organized at Geneva, and there mustered in the service of the United States for three years August 22, 1862. December 25, 1864, it was consolidated into a battalion of five companies, A to E, and June 2, 1865, the men not to be mustered out with the regiment were transferred to the 4th Artillery.
The companies were recruited principally: A and B in Yates county C and I in Seneca county D, Hand K in Ontario county E at Geneva and Rushville F in the counties of Ontario and Seneca and G in Ontario, Seneca and Yates counties.
The regiment left the State August 26, 1862 it served in the Middle Department from August, 1862 at Harper's Ferry, W. Va., where it was surrendered, from September, 1862 at Camp Douglas, Chicago, Ill., from September 27, 1862 in the defenses of Washington, in the 1st Brigade, Casey's Division, later 22d Corps, from December, 1862 in the 3d Brigade of the same, from January, 1863 in the 3d Brigade, 3d Division, 2d Corps, from June 25, 1863 in the 3d, for a time in the Consolidated, Brigade, 1st Division, 2d Corps, from March, 1864 and it was honorably discharged and mustered out, under Col. Ira Smith Brown, June 3, 1865, near Alexandria, Va.
During its service the regiment lost by death, killed in action, II officers, 95 enlisted men of wounds received in action, 5 officers, 43 enlisted men of disease and other causes, 1 officer, 121 enlisted men total, 17 officers, 259 enlisted men aggregate, 276 of whom 30 enlisted men died in the hands of the enemy.

The following is taken from The Union army: a history of military affairs in the loyal states, 1861-65 -- records of the regiments in the Union army -- cyclopedia of battles -- memoirs of commanders and soldiers. Madison, WI: Federal Pub. Co., 1908. volume II.
One Hundred and Twenty-Sixth Infantry.&mdashCols., Eliakim Sher-rill, James M. Bull, William H. Baird, Ira Smith Brown Lieut-Cols., James M. Bull, William H. Baird, Ira Smith Brown, John B. Geddes Majs., William H. Baird, Philo D. Phillips, Ira Smith Brown, Charles A. Richardson. This regiment, recruited in the counties of Ontario, Seneca and Yates, was organized at Geneva, and there mustered into the U. S. service for three years, Aug. 22, 1862. At the close of 1864, when it had become much reduced in numbers by reason of its hard service, it was consolidated into a battalion of five companies, A to E. The regiment left the state on Aug. 26, 1862, and took part in its first fighting during the siege of Harper's Ferry, where it received the brunt of the enemy's attack and suffered a large share of the casualties at Maryland and Bolivar heights. It lost 16 killed and 42 wounded during the fighting, and was surrendered with the rest of the garrison on Sept. 15. The men were immediately paroled and spent two months in camp at Chicago, Ill., awaiting notice of its exchange. As soon as notice of its exchange was received in December, it returned to Virginia, encamping during the winter at Union Mills. The following extract is taken from Col. Fox's account of the regiment in his work on Regimental Losses in the Civil War: "In June, 1863, it joined the Army of the Potomac, and was placed in Willard's brigade, Alex. Hays' (3d) division, 2nd corps, with which it marched to Gettysburg, where the regiment won honorable distinction, capturing 5 stands of colors in that battle. Col. Willard, the brigade commander, being killed there, Col. Sherrill succeeded him, only to meet the same fate, while in the regiment the casualties amounted to 40 killed, 181 wounded and 10 missing. At Bristoe Station the regiment won additional honors by its conspicuous gallantry and sustained the heaviest loss in that action casualties, 6 killed, 33 wounded and 10 missing. The 126th haying been transferred to Barlow's (1st) division, entered the spring campaign of 1864 with less than 300 men, of whom 100 were detailed at headquarters as a provost-guard. Its casualties at the Wilderness were 5 killed, 62 wounded and 9 missing and at Po river and Spottsylvania, 6 killed, 37 wounded and 7 missing. Col. Baird was killed at Petersburg." The regiment took part in the following important battles: Siege of Harper's Ferry&mdashincluding Maryland and Bolivar heights Gettysburg, Auburn ford, Bristoe Station, Morton's ford, Wilderness, Po river, Spottsylvania, North Anna, Toto-potomy, Cold Harbor, Petersburg, Weldon railroad, siege of Petersburg, Deep Bottom, Reams' station, Hatcher's run, and Sutherland Station, and was also present in the Mine Run campaign, at Strawberry Plains, Boydton Road, Farmville and Appomattox. Commanded by Col. Brown, it was mustered out at Washington, D. C, June 3, 1865. The total enrollment of the regiment during service was 1,036, of whom 16 officers and 138 men were killed and mortally wounded, or 14.7 per cent. 1 officer and 121 men died of disease and other causes total deaths, 17 officers and 259 men, 30 of whom died in the hands of the enemy. The total of killed and wounded in the regiment amounted to 535. The percentage of killed and mortally wounded at Gettysburg amounted to over 15, and the total casualties to 57.4 per cent.

NYSMM Online Resources

Civil War Newspaper Clippings
This is also available in PDF format. These are large files however, they are exact images of the pages.

Other Resources

This is meant to be a comprehensive list. If, however, you know of a resource that is not listed below, please send an email to [email protected] with the name of the resource and where it is located. This can include photographs, letters, articles and other non-book materials. Also, if you have any materials in your possession that you would like to donate, the museum is always looking for items specific to New York's military heritage. Thank you.

Baird, William H. William H. Baird papers, 1862-1913, 1862-1864 (bulk).
85 items (ca.)
Letters, orders, accounts, receipts for issues of Major William H. Baird of the 126th New York Volunteers depositions and other papers concerning his conduct at Harper's Ferry in September, 1862 genealogical data and a photograph of Baird.
Located at the Geneva Historical Society Museum, 543 South Main Street, Geneva, New York 14456.

Bassett, Erasmus E. Erasmus E. Bassett diary, 1863.
Entries (January-April) are mainly concerned with inspection, drill, dress parade, and other activities at the Union Army camp at Union Mills, Virginia in May Bassett mentions digging rifle pits, orders having been given to fortify the place well, and refers to the movements of General Hooker's army in the area in late June the writer's unit began the march to Gettysburg, in which battle he was killed (Entry, July 2nd, completed by his brother, R.A. Bassett, who found the body on the battlefield at midnight. 1 v
Original at Cornell University.

Brown, J. Smith. Individual record of J. Smith Brown, Colonel, 126th New York Volunteers, August 1864.
Handwritten statement by Brown of Yates County, N.Y., giving an autobiographical sketch and detailed narrative of his Civil War service to 1864 as an officer of the 1st U.S. Sharpshooters in Virginia, and a description of the service of his brother, Capt. Morris Brown, Jr. (1842- 1864) in the 126th New York Regiment.
1 item (10 p.).
Located at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill.

Campbell, Eric A. ' "Remember Harper's Ferry!" : The degradation, humiliation, and redemption of Col. George L Willard's Brigade - Part Two.' Gettysburg: Historical Articles of Lasting Interest. Eight (January 1993) 95-110.

Chadwick, John M. Gleanings from a Diary, April 30, 1863 to November 27, 1863 : John M Chadwick, Bandmaster, 126th Regiment of New York State Volunteers. 1863.

Geneva Gazette newspaper clippings : 1861-1865. Geneva, NY: Geneva Gazette.

Graham, Robert H. Yates County's "boys in blue", 1861-1865 : who they were, what they did. Penn Yan, N.Y. s.n, 1926.

Grand Army of the Republic. Grand Army of the Republic records, 1870-1931.
1 cubic ft.
Records of J.B. Sloan Post No.93, G.A.R., Penn Yan including minute book, 1870, with roster of post and notes of veteran burials minute book, 1908-1930 roll books for 1891-1913 treasurer's accounts for 1902-23 record of deaths printed programs, 1889-1914 miscellaneous receipts, leaflets and clippings. Other items are record book of reunion of 126th Regiment, New York Volunteers, 1908-31 a few printed items relating to William H. Long Post, No. 486, G.A.R. and an account book for the county organization of the G.A.R. in Chautauqua County, 1881-1913.
Located at the Yates County Genealogical and Historical Society, 200 Main Street, Penn Yan, New York 14527.

Hoyt, Charles S. A Surgeon's Diary : 1861-1865.
Original located at Cornell University.

Johnson family. The Johnson family papers, 1860-1934.
Description: 1 box.
Abstract: Contains the following type of materials: correspondence. Contains information pertaining to the following war and time period: Civil War -- Eastern Theater 1865-1897. Contains information pertaining to the following military units: 1st New York Sharpshooter Battalion 4th, 8th, and 16th New York Heavy Artillery Regiments 44th, 126th, 140th and 148th New York Infantry Regiments Dept. of Virginia Army of the Potomac (either the II or the VI Corps and probably the V Corps). General description of the collection: The Johnson Family papers include enlisted man's letters letters from camp, Petersburg, Centreville, Suffolk, Norfolk, Yorktown, Warrenton letters from civilians, during and after the war, around Naples, Ontario County, New York letter about Confederate money. Campaigns: Suffolk, Gettysburg, Wilderness, Spotsylvania, North Anna, Cold Harbor, Petersburg, Appomattox unknown New York unit (V), 1863 and Corps II, VI, 1865.
Located at the Military History Institute in Carlisle, PA.

Kowalis, Jeffrey J. Died at Gettysburg! : "no prouder epitaph need any man covet" : illustrated biographies of the Union casualties at Gettysburg. Hightstown, NJ: Longstreet House, 1998.

Lee, Henry. Henry Lee Manuscripts.
Abstract: The Henry Lee File contains both letters and diary entries. Letters and diary entries appear to be mixed together at times. Only a transcript is available. Ontario County Historical Society at 55 North Main Street, Canandaigua, New York 14424, might have the original.

Lemunyon, William F. War Record, W. F. Lemunyon : Written July, 1898.

Lightfoote, W. G. Dedication of the monument to the 126th Regiment N.Y. Infantry on the battlefield of Gettysburg, October 3, 1888. Canandaigua? N.Y. : s.n., 1888. 44 p. 20 cm.

Lounsbury, Thomas Raynesford, 1838-1915. "In the defenses of Washington." Yale review II (1913) 385-411.

Mahood, Wayne. Written in blood : a history of the 126th New York Infantry in the Civil War. Hightstown, NJ: Longstreet House, 1997.

Murray, R.L. and David Hickey (ed.). The redemption of the "Harper's Ferry Cowards" : the story of the 111th and 126th New York state volunteer regiments at Gettysburg. 1994.

New York Volunteers, 126th Regiment. New York Volunteers, 126th Regiment papers, 1802-1897, 1862-1897 (bulk).
2.0 cubic ft.
Official papers of the 126th Regiment include correspondence, forms, court martial proceedings, quartermaster and ordnance records, volunteer enlistment papers, discharge papers, and muster rolls for officers and enlisted men. There are also letters of Theodore Hamilton to Lucas Smith. Other materials include the papers of Maj. Charles Richardson of the 125th Regiment papers and letters about monuments at Gettysburg dedicated to the 125th Regiment and to Col. Eliakim Sherrill letters of William H. Martin, 11th New York Heavy Artillery letters of William H. Shelton while in Confederate prisons in South Carolina copies of letters of Darius C. Sackett and miscellany on other regiments in which Ontario County men served.
Also in the collection are papers of Job Pearce including receipts two muster rolls for Capt. Seth Lee's Company, Cavalry, New York Militia, War of 1812 copies of the record book of Capt. Abner Bunnell and copy of paper relating to the Ontario County militia, 1802.
Located at the Ontario County Historical Society, 55 North Main Street, Canandaigua, New York 14424.

Newspaper clippings Neighbor&rsquos Home Mail.

Newspaper clippings from the Rochester Newspapers.

Papers pertaining to Colonel William H. Baird.

Partridge, Lewis T. Gettysburg : The following history, in verse, of the action of the Third Brigade at Gettysburg, . [Geneva, N.Y.], 1913.
Broadside 16 x 21 cm.
Signed at end: L.T. Partridge. Note at end: This poem was read by Mrs. Franc Fassett Pugsley, of Pittsford, at Geneva, N.Y., at the annual reunion of the 126th Regiment, August 26, 1913./ Printed in 2 columns.
Located at The Huntington Library.

Patterson, Maurice. "Band Played and Fought in Civil War." Ithaca Journal. 29 June 1974.

Pierce, Preston Eugene. The Harper's Ferry cowards : a history of the 126th New York volunteer regiment, 1862-1865. [S.l. : s.n.], 1978.

Proceedings of the re-union of the 126th Regiment, N.Y.V. : held at Seneca Point, Canandaigua Lake, New York, August 22, 1867. Canandaigua, NY: Ontario County Times, 1867.

Proceedings of the reunion of the 126th regiment, N.Y.V., held at Phelps, Ontario county, N.Y., on the 22d day of August, 1868. Canandaigua: Printed at the Ontario County Times . 26 p.
[Could find no record of this in World Cat.]

Proceedings of the reunion of the veterans of the 111th and the 126th reg'ts N.Y. vols., held at Gettysburg, Pa., June 10 and 11, 1886. Canaudaigua, N.Y. : Times book and job printing house, 1886. 38 p.
Located at The Huntington Library.

Residents of the 25th Congressional District, State of New York. Petition of Alfred Chissom to Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton regarding Chissom's desertion, October 12, 1865 1865.

Richardson, Charles A. Capt. Richardson's Letters 1868.

Rose, George I. Diary of George Iriving Rose, August 14, 1862 to September 3, 1863 : 126th New York Volunteer Infantry. 1863.

Ryno, John L. John L. Ryno Civil War diaries : 1862-1864.

Sackett, Darius C. Civil War Letters of Darius C. Sackett of Ontario County, N.Y., Aug. - Nov., 1862 : From the library of Irving W. Coates who probably copied them from the originals in the hands of the Sackett family. 1862.

Scott, Winfield. Pickett's charge as seen from the front line, a paper prepared and read before California commandery of the Military order of the loyal legion of the United States, February 8, 1888, by Chaplain Winfield Scott, late Captain 126th New York. 15 p.

United States. Army. New York Infantry Regiment, 126th (1862-1865). 126th New York Infantry records,1862-1865.
The collection consists mainly of muster rolls, but there also some vouchers and allotment rolls, and some other miscellaneous papers. These include a military pass, but most are receipts and routine correspondence addressed to Levi C. Ball and dealing with soldiers' pay one letter encloses a duplicate check. A few documents pertain to the 125th New York Regiment.
0.4 linear feet (1 oversize box).
Located at the New York Historical Society, New York, NY.

War Department. Office of the Judge Advocate General. Court Martial of Uriel D. Belles : Lieutenant of the 126th New York Volunteers, August 22, 1863. Elk Run, VA: War Department. Office of the Judge Advocate General, August 23, 1863.

Willson, Arabella M. Disaster, struggle, triumph adventures of 1000 "boys in Blue," from August, 1862, to June, 1865, by Mrs. Arabella M. Willson. Dedicated to the 126th regiment of New York State volunteers. With an appendix containing a chronological record of the principal events in the history of the Regiment, and the personal history of its officers and enlisted men. Prepared by the Historical committee of the Regiment. Albany, Argus co., printers, 1870. 593 p. maps, plates (illus., maps, ports.). "Biographical sketches," officers, non-commissioned officers and enlisted men by companies, [337]-582.

Wirtz, Edmond. "Past People, Past Places : Colonel Eliakim Sherrill." Geneva Historical Society Bulletin. (JAN 1991).

Wolcott, Walter, 1859. The military history of Yates County, N.Y. : comprising a record of the services rendered by citizens of this county in the army and navy, from the foundation of the government to the present time. Penn Yan, N.Y. Express Book and Job Print. House, 1895.

Yost, George L. Civil War Letters of George L. Yost, 1862 -1863 : 126th New York Volunteer Infantry.

Youngs, Georgs S. Civil War Miscellaneous Collection
(Jul 19, 1862-Dec 31, 1864.
Located at the Military History Institute in Carlisle, PA.

Youngs, George S. Letter, 9 July 1864.
2 leaves and 13 pages.
Letter, 9 July 1864, from George S. Youngs (1843-1922) of Company G, 126th New York Infantry serving as Provost Guard for the II Corps, Army of the Potomac, at Petersburg, Virginia, to his mother Effie Youngs (b. ca. 1806) describing conditions at II Corps headquarters, mentioning General Winfield Scott Hancock (1824-1886), and providing news of friends serving with him. Youngs also sent letters, 1818-1838, related to the Chandler family of Hanover County, Virginia, that he collected from their home when the Union army passed through the area. These letters contain information of branches of the family that settled in Hanover County and in Orange County, Vermont.
Accession 51839. Located at the Library of Virginia in Richmond, Virginia.
Thank you to Ed Worman for pointing out this resource.


General Electric History

Innovation at General Electric in the field of semiconductors in the 1950s occurred at two main sites: Syracuse and Schenectady. It centres on the pioneering work of Harper North, Robert Hall and William Dunlap at Schenectady and that of John Saby at Syracuse in the period 1948-51. By the time the silicon controlled rectifier, the Diac and Triac were developed in the period 1957-1963 General Electric had assembled a significant team of researchers and engineers at Syracuse, Schenectady and the Clyde rectifier plant.

The Schenectady laboratories date back to 1900 when Willis Whitney, a chemist from MIT, was hired to be its foundation director. Its alumni include some famous names in science and technology such as William Coolidge who worked on medical X-ray technologies, the Nobel prize winning chemist Irving Langmuir and Albert Hull who developed the magnetron and other vacuum tubes. In 1950 the laboratory moved to the Schenectady suburb of Niskayuna.

At Syracuse, Electronics Park was the headquarters for electronics research, development and was General Electric’s main electronics manufacturing site (radio, radar, television and similar equipment). Construction began in 1946 on a park like site of 150 acres and phase one was completed early in 1948. The Electronics Laboratory moved there in February 1948.

The Schenectady laboratories were intended to investigate more basic research whereas the Syracuse laboratories were there to support production. But researchers at both sites all had considerable freedom to investigate new technologies and undertook novel developments. The culture of innovation was also strong at Clyde which was a manufacturing site.

The invention of the cavity magnetron in Britain and the potential for high resolution radar led to a large scale development programme managed by the Radiation Laboratory at MIT. This included the development of new crystal rectifiers: a redeployment of very old technology now revisited because vacuum tubes could not operate at the GHz frequencies being used. But to meet military standards the humble cat’s whisker crystal detector needed to become a reliable detector.

General Electric was a contractor in the programme and represented by Harper North in the more academic “crystal meetings” which were dominated by researchers from the Radiation Laboratory and the University of Pennsylvania. [Henriksen 1987]

The overall purpose of the General Electric contract was to investigate germanium as a possible improvement over silicon which was the dominant crystal in use. [North 1946]

At General Electric North made germanium from its oxide under hydrogen at 650 C and then fused it into a crystalline mass by heating it at 1015 C. The purity of the resulting germanium (as indicated by its resistivity) was crucially dependent on the quality of the oxide, processing conditions and control over the purity of the hydrogen.

Extensive work was undertaken on germanium dopants, antimony being preferred over phosphorous which was also investigated.

To produce detector cartridges a doped ingot was sliced into 0.02 inch wafers, polished and rhodium plated on one side diced into 0.07 inch squares. These were soldered to the cartridge stud and finally highly polished. Heat treatment and chemical etching were found to be undesirable for radar detectors.

North undertook an extensive investigation of welded point-contact diodes where the contact was welded to the germanium by passing a high current briefly through the unit. Due to their negative resistance characteristics these had high gain but were not used because of their high noise. Unlike conventional point-contact diodes, they were, however, excellent rectifiers. Using germanium with high levels of antimony doping, North obtained very low forward resistance at only 0.4 volts. [Torrey 1948]

North’s coaxial cartridge design followed the dimensional outline of the Sylvania silicon 1N26 but typically utilized antimony doped germanium. The assembly was sealed into silver plated steel tube with low-loss glass. Use of antimony doping (n-type germanium) gave reversed polarity compared to conventional silicon diodes. [Drawing from Torrey 1948]

General Electric 1N23A cartridge [Courtesy Jan de Groot]

First Diodes

The first diodes released by General Electric were based on the North wartime research and the subsequent development of Harper North and his team.

The first diodes released commercially by General Electric were the G5 series submitted for RMA registration in June 1948. They were general purpose small signal types and used North’s welded germanium technology. These were the G5A, G5B, G5C and G5D which corresponded to the series 1N49-1N51.

These were followed by the G5E (1N63) that December, G5G (1N65) and G5F (1N64) in 1950 [RMA Release 670]

In 1950 the package outlined changed to the newer format illustrated below. In addition the G5 series was extended to include hermetically sealed ceramic cases as the G5K, G5L and G5P (1N69, 1N70 and 1N81) from 1950. [RMA release 891B, 1951, RMA release 1016 1951]

The G range of welded germanium diodes was extended with the G6 and G7 series. The G6 diode was intended as a VHF detector and meter rectifier and the G7 series for UHF applications. A summary of the range is shown in the following data sheets (click on these thumbnails for full resolution). For the story of their manufacturing process see "Welded Germanium Diodes."

The G8 matched pairs and G9 bridge rectifiers completed the commercial G series. By now alloy junction rectifiers known then as “diffused junction rectifiers” were in development. The G10 rectifier made a brief appearance as noted below.

Robert Hall returned to General Electric Research Laboratories Schenectady just as Bell announced its point-contact transistor. Hall had just graduated PhD from Caltech and had previously worked at the laboratories on a range of projects including the Harper North Wartime radar diode project. Dr Albert Hull was Assistant Director of the Laboratory. He was known for his collegial management style with a relaxed approach to the research agenda of his staff members. Hall recalls that Hull came in with the reprint of the Physical Review letters that announced the transistor [Bardeen 1948] and said “Robert here’s an interesting development from Bell Laboratories. It looks like something pretty new and exciting. Would you like to look into it and see if there’s anything interesting there.” [Choi 2004]

General Electric had all the knowhow it needed to duplicate the Bell design quickly. North’s diode programme had diodes that could handle 100 volts back voltage which was state of the art at that time. (Purdue University produced the high back voltage germanium for the Bell point contact transistor.) North’s diode programme and related research ensured it had a manufacturing understanding of the key technologies:

High back voltage poly-crystalline germanium

Assembly and encapsulation.

Its first designs were crude with two pins for the collector and emitter with the base connection through the case in the manner of the Bell Type A. No socket was available and users were recommended to use a 5 pin subminiature tube socket using positions 2 and 3 for the collector and emitter and to create a base connection by inserting phosphor-bronze strips in positions 1 and 4 and bending them so they contacted the transistor case.

The transistors were known as germanium triodes or germanium whisker transistors. Two types were produced evolving from prototype coding through the familiar “G” designation in use for its point-contact diodes and finally adopting RMA registration:

The prototype numbers appear in early data sheets and in a General Electric price list dated June 1 st 1951 in which the new SX-4A and Z2 transistors were priced at a massive $29 each.

The two transistors had the same mechanical and electrical characteristics but the switching transistor was tested for “trigger action” or negative resistance. [General Electric 1950 courtesy Jack Ward]

From 1952 the transistors had 3 pins with the base connection being soldered to the outside of the transistor’s case.

Early General Electric G11 and G11A point-contact transistors.[Courtesy Jack Ward]

Production General Electric G11 point-contact transistor [Courtesy Jan de Groot]

Hall had the opportunity to take a more fundamental approach to support semiconductor development.

Hall studied the addition of donor and acceptor elements. He found that he could make N-type germanium by adding arsenic but the end that solidified first came up P-type due to a mysterious impurity that turned out to be boron. This crystal was a rectifier which Hall called a “barrier-less” rectifier. “I realized sometime later that this was a very broad P-N junction and obeyed the same laws that Bill Shockley had worked out for P-N junctions“ [Choi 2004]

Hall decided to make a more efficient rectifier by taking most of the germanium away and putting donor and acceptor impurities on opposite sides. Because they both have low melting

points indium (acceptor) and antimony (donor) are good candidates for an alloy diffusion experiment. Hall assembled a wafer of germanium with a drop of indium on the top and antimony on the bottom. This was situated on a metal plate and heated in an hydrogen atmosphere to obtain alloying. It rectified: “It was very leaky in the reverse direction but it had remarkably good forward characteristics. It would carry several amperes at only a volt or so.” [Choi 2004] Previous rectifiers had only been able to pass a few milliamps. Hall improved the reverse characteristics by etching (which removes excess dopant that has diffused across the surface of the germanium).

Hall began making large area rectifiers 5mm square by this process and used water cooling for improved power. He was able to make devices that could pass 100s of amperes in one direction and block a 100 volts in the other. “So I could handle many kilowatts of power with these rectifiers which were rather phenomenal.” [Choi 2004]

By 1949 the work was sufficiently advanced to be transferred to the Electronics Laboratory at Schenectady as a production development project while the more theoretical work continued at the Research Laboratory.

Hall assumed that he was doping his junctions through diffusion into germanium. Crawford Dunlap had already been working on impurity diffusion in germanium and when learning of Hall’s success proposed a joint paper on diffused rectifiers. “Dr. Dunlap became aware of the work I was doing, and he called me into his office and proposed that we produce a joint paper on diffused rectifiers. And I was rather taken aback by this, because as far as I can see, he hadn’t contributed anything to this. I did not make use of any of his work. I don’t know if he had any diffused results.” [Choi 2004]

In 1950 Hall and Dunlap published Hall’s work on P-N junctions made by diffusing donors and acceptors from opposite sides of a germanium wafer. They discussed their approach for optimizing both the forward current and reverse voltage and showed why the alloy junction approach pioneered at General Electric gave better dopant profiles across the junction compared to those achieved by melt solidification.

“The non-linear impurity distribution which is required may be obtained by thermal diffusion of the donor and acceptor impurities into opposite sides of a wafer of semiconductor. Germanium diodes have been prepared in this manner which will withstand inverse potentials of the order of 100 volts and which will pass 500 amp/cm2 at one volt in the forward direction.” [Hall 1950]

They noted that the I-V characteristics of their rectifiers were similar to those of selenium or copper oxide but that the current densities were 1000 times better.

This work was patented by Dunlap evidently because the General Electric’s attorneys considered Dunlap had made the inventive step. The application covered the preparation of single or multiple junction units for rectifiers, thermoelectric junctions, photoelectric junctions and transistors. Dunlap’s patent describes junction formation by

diffusing donor or acceptor impurities into a semi-conductor body already doped with impurities of opposite conductivity. The assembly is fired and by controlling the firing time and temperature the degree of penetration of the impurity is controlled. The penetrated area changes to the opposite conductivity and a PN junction is formed. Contacts are made by soldering wires or connectors to the surface dopant and the wafer. [Dunlap 1950] On the left is a schematic for the General Electric G-10 power rectifier. It features heating sinking through its base. Loads of several kilowatts could be handled by this design. [Hall 1952]

The G-10 was an early prototype that was offered in pilot scale quantities from October 1951 according to its advertising "The Truth about Transistors" in Tele-Tech for May 1952 and in a two page spread in Tele-Tech for January 1952 "These rectifiers are now in pilot production." But the G-10 was never commercialized. Finis Gentry recalls “The G10 Rectifier was a germanium rectifier about the size of a quarter and about 3/16' thick. The case was made of copper with the anode insulated from the cathode by a rubber O ring. This did not provide sufficient hermetic protection so it was replaced by the hermetically sealed 4JA2 germanium rectifier.” [Gentry 2009]


Voir la vidéo: Guerre au Rwanda: au-delà des polémiques , avec le général Dominique Delort